Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

My Day Off

Today marks the 8th year of my mother's passing. She died on Sunday, July 21, 1996. While it's not a Sunday, it is the anniversary. Last week, I made sure to take this day off. I never work on my mother's Death Day. Often times, I go to her grave to visit with her shortly, or I do other things that we would have done together, like go to the movies.

This year, however, fate had something else in mind for me. I got a call from my father on Monday with him telling me about a potential job interview from the state. I had to turn in the letter like before. I was sitting there on my phone trying to wrack my brain for a way for him to send my resume for me, since he had the letter and the fax at the house in Centreville. He worked against me, somehow getting me to come home. I was not at all feeling well on Monday, so napped in hopes of it my just being tired. The nap helped a little.

Tuesday, I felt the beginnings of a scratchy throat. I hoped against hope it was just the sawdust from the desk that I'd been sitting at while at work. It was new, and they had to put it together themselves. Sawdust apparently does not sit well with me these days, so I'm likely developing a possible allergic reaction to it. I fought off feeling bad all day and went home to Centreville like I'd promised.

At Centreville, I was greeted with a letter taped to the stair case. Gone to Greensboro, don't know when I'll be home. There's sliced Turkey in the fridge. Will be home all day tomorrow. I was a little irritated to find that my father would not be home when he'd specifically asked me to come home, but I decided to use that time to catch up on Firan and my own game, Cuendillar. I only managed to read boards, and get marginally involved in two scenes on Firan, and then I had to go. I think I stayed up way too late, even though I went to bed well before when I have been.

It became very clear to me when I went to bed that I was very sick. My throat hated me. It protested when I tried to lay on one side, and then mildly irritated me when I laid on the other. I found the only way I could get any sleep was to lay sitting up somewhat. It helped, though very little. I had to get one of those throat losenges. So, I slept with one of thsoe in my mouth in hopes that I could sleep, a little, and not choke on it. I didn't, otherwise I wouldn't be writing this post!

It was painfully clear to me that sleeping did not make anything better! So, since I had the day off, I squeezed myself into an appointment at my doctor's office, who happens to be on this shore, thankfully. Antibodies in hand, I went home only to be drug off to Easton with my father for lunch and so he could pay his house insurance for the farm in Greensboro. We stopped briefly in town. He talked, I nodded my head and said 'uh-huh'. On my best days, I am not a chatty person to begin with. This was not one of my better days. I was in a sickly induced haze the entire time. We stopped at my mother's grave for a few brief moments, then went on our way home. He mentioned he wasn't going to put flowers there until her birthday in September, and he once more wondered aloud about who might have put the fake gladiola (sp?) flowers at her gravesite. We don't know who did it, at all. No one is fessing up to it. My mother loved glads.

So, tonight, he decides he's also going to drag me off to dinner. I felt I needed to go, even though I wasn't really up to going out again. He doesn't understand sick people, and how sick people feel. He's one of those nauseating people who NEVER get sick. Or, if he does, he sucks it up and never says boo about it. Me, I let people know I'm sick. Not for the attention, mind you, just because it's better to be prepared! I get really sick maybe once or twice a year. So, to him, I'm /always/ getting sick. Anyway, dinner was nice. I got to see my sister, and we went to Greensboro Restaurant. We chatted about the happenings of the past week, including the chat with Jennifer and the revelation of the threats made to Darrick.

After dinner, I've been feeling a bit better. My throat isn't as scratchy, and while I've developed a nose that wants to sometimes run off without me, it's not that bad. Hopefully, with some more sleep, this cold will only stay with me for a few brief days, rather than the several months it usually takes to make it go away. Here's to crossing my fingers!


( 3 comments — Leave a comment )
Jul. 21st, 2004 10:43 pm (UTC)
Jul. 22nd, 2004 04:54 am (UTC)
*hugs tight*
Jul. 22nd, 2004 05:27 am (UTC)
Hope you feel better fast!
( 3 comments — Leave a comment )


Nynrose - Lisa Christie
Cuendillar MUSH

Latest Month

March 2016
Powered by LiveJournal.com